NEW RESEARCH: Download our Millennial Traveller Report for a unique insight into this influential generation of travellers
This latest report is part of a series based on the results of the Millennial Traveller survey, which was completed by more than 7,600 travellers aged 18 – 30 from over 100 countries earlier this year. If you are looking to capitalise on the opportunities that this demographic offers, download the Millennial Traveller report to gain a unique insight into the generation that’s spending more and truly embracing the internet and mobile technology during its travels:
Millennial Traveller trends
- Australia and the United States are the preferred next trip destinations (each at 11%), followed by the United Kingdom (8%)
- Family and friends are the most influential source of travel information for 67% travellers
- 80% of respondents feel travel reviews have a real influence on their decisions, with 56% posting online reviews after a trip
- 7% report having booked a flight by mobile phone or tablet compared to 3.8% in WYSE Travel Confederation’s New Horizons study, published in 2013
- 12.5% reported experiencing difficulties related to visa regulations when travelling
- 50% reported spending over EUR 1,000 for their whole trip – EUR 100 more than the average trip spend for an international tourist.
Millennial Traveller attitudes
- Mobile use is high, with 43% using their phones every five minutes
- 23% are keen to hang out with as many nationalities as possible while travelling, compared to 8% who prefer to seek out other travellers from their own country
- Top travel motivators are to experience everyday life in another country and increase knowledge, whilst relaxing and being calm are at the bottom of the travel to-do list
- Important features such as tasty food and friendly locals underline the millennial traveller’s desire for local experiences.
Speaking at WTM this week David Chapman, Director General of WYSE Travel Confederation, said: “Young travellers of the millennial generation represent 20% of international travellers; By 2020, 320 million international trips are expected to be made by youth travellers each year; a staggering 47% increase from 217 million in 2013. “Through regular insights into the millennial traveller’s attitude to travel, such as that provided by our new Millennial Traveller report, WYSE Travel Confederation aims to help provide the travel community with the tools it needs to understand this fast-growing and increasingly influential market.”
Free for WYSE Travel Confederation + STAY WYSE members
This report is available free of charge to WYSE Travel Confederation members.
Non WYSE Travel Confederation members
If you’re not a member, download our FREE executive summary, or the full report for just EUR 99,95.
Visit www.wysetc.org/research to download our full range of reports.